Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Relearning Bike Handling Skills

Last summer, I wanted to get into triathlons, but I needed to get a bike. Rather daunting was the fact that I hadn't been on a bike in 19 years. Yes, my last bike was a fixie with coaster brakes. It was a little daunting to get a new bike. Is the old adage about riding a bike true? Would I crash a lot? Could I handle a road bike with a much more forward body position? I'm glad to report that I still could ride a bike, but I did forget bike handling skills. The first time I got on a bike again, I was a bit shaky and my hands were glued to the hoods. I remembered saying, "look Mom, no hands", but even several rides later even if I attempted to take a hand off for a split second, I would swerve. I could even ride in the drops. From getting the bike, it took 8 weeks, 8 hours of riding, and about 100 miles to attempt riding in the drops. After about 3-4 rides purposely practing, I was able to reasonably go from the hoods to the drops. I was still shaky taking a hand off, so I had to slide my hand down the side of handlebar. It would be about another 4 weeks, before I could even take a hand off for a quick nose wipe, but I was a long way from being able to grab something from a pocket. I got a Speedplay, so I could drink on the go, so I didn't focus on it exclusively. A month ago, I was able to eat food from my "Bento box" while riding. A week ago, I tried just using a regular bidon in the downtube cage - so pickup, drink, and put back. Today, I successfully grabbed a bidon from my seat tube and refilled my Speedplay, all on the go. It feels great to re-obtain mediocre bike handling skills. I feel like a baby who learned how to walk. So why is this important? For one, safety. At first I couldn't signal or let other riders know of a pothole. Second, if I was on a longer ride, like an Olympic distance triathlon, I'd have to physically stop to refil my Speedplay from another water bottle, which could be a huge time drain. Granted, I am going slow while refilling or drinking (10-12 mph), but this is much better than having to stop. Lastly, I can try out aero bars, something I thought would be impossible for me. It took 80 rides, 77 hours, and 1,100 miles, but I am ready for aerobars!

No comments:

Post a Comment