Thursday, September 19, 2013

Galveston and Beyond

Galveston 5150 in 3 days! I've been checking the weather report and getting mentally prepared. One thing that this race will inform me of, is whether I want to try for the half-Ironman. The Galveston 70.3 is on the same course as the 5150... you just bike further down the island and run two more laps around Moody Gardens.

My training plan for Olympic distance was pretty intense and I struggled to keep up with the volume.  I know I wouldn't be able to go on a 80 mile ride every weekend AND a long run every week, plus do everything in between.  It's not that I'm lazy, but I want to try to balance work, family, and working out. I can be active healthy by running 5k & 10ks and going on 25mi rides. I don't need to put in 80 mi rides to be healthy. Still the allure of the half Ironman is there, because I feel I could finish it without too much more effort. What's the least I could get away with? We're talking just being under 7 hours. Maybe three, rides 65 miles or more?

While I'm not interested in doing the MS150 this year, I think some of the training rides would be fun. There are a lot to choose from:

 2013-2014 rides: The List
Description of 2012-2013 rides Fall rides, Jan-Feb rides, Mar-Apr rides

Potential Things of Interest

November 3, 2013: Tour de Doughnut (Katy)
November 10, 2013: Bike for Little Heroes (Waller)
February 9, 2014: Bike for Little Heroes (two rides but I like the charity's cause)
February 23, 2014: Sun & Ski Sports Spring Breakaway
March 1, 2014: Woodlands Half Marathon
March 16, 2014: Tour de Houston
March 23, 2014: Bluebonnett Express

No comments:

Post a Comment