Saturday, September 29, 2012

First Two Mile Run

I've been religiously continuing with my running. I've now gotten out the door and have run / walked 21 times over 6 weeks. This last time was for 2 miles, which I did at a 11:28 pace. I have 8 weeks until my 5k so I think I will have enough time.

While I’ve been showing improvement on running, my pushup training has been poor. I think I figured out why. With running, I start by walking for warm-up, then jog and slowly increase speed. A normal pushup is like full on sprinting – I usually get out of breath before I get tired (because for some reason I end up holding my breath). My consistency has been poor, but it would also be poor on running if I knew I had to start sprinting the moment I stepped out the door. So I started training at a 45 degree angle. Yesterday my arms got really tired (still sore today) for the first time, plus I was eager to go back for additional sets. I will need the arm strength in a triathlon swim. I think I have a good potential to do 500 meters in 10 minutes, but I need the strength to maintain freestyle. I did ½ of laps with backstroke when I went, which is slower plus I would always go of course and hit the lane line.

No comments:

Post a Comment