Monday, September 24, 2012

First Swim, First Long Run

I had a busy weekend of exercise:
  • On Friday I went swimming. I did a total of 50 laps (25 yd pool). I did two sets of 500 yds. I basically alternated between crawl and backstroke. My freestyle pace was baout 3 min/100m and my backstroke pace was about 3:40/100m.
  • On Saturday I did a longer continuous run of 1.69 mi at a pace of 11:58 min/mi. My legs were getting tired before I was getting out of breath.
I am definitely a better swimmer than runner. Even though it was my first time in the pool and I could swim at a rate that is not far off a reasonable triathlon times and have enough gas left to do it again, but I would like be almost last in the run, even if the run was my only event. Swimming did reinforce my need to do upper-body exercises on my off-run days. So much of the crawl is upper body and conditioning my arms to do most of the work would save my legs for a bike or run. I have signed up to run the 5K on Thanksgiving day.

Long term, I am aiming (long-term) to run the Woodlands triathlon next May. I figure I’ve had enough intellectual accomplishments in my life, I better get some physical ones before I get too old. I also don’t want to be a fat dad. I want to be active with my kids when I am 45. One of my goals is to get into the old Navy PRT standard for my age group

No comments:

Post a Comment