Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Back in the Pool

So I got to go swimming over lunch. The place is really nice and the cost was low ($5/visit). So I swam a total of 650 yards in about 18 minutes. I started with 250 yards, but got myself all out of breath and I couldn’t probably recover even switching to backstroke. So I stopped, rested and started again. I did 300 yards, all freestyle. It was slow, but I was happy to be able to maintain the stroke, since that is where I want to get to eventually.  Backstroke laps won’t really help my eventual goal. However, the overall time was as a slow as when I did add in backstroke. Later in the season they are supposed to switch the lanes to lengthwise so each lap will be 50m, which means less turns. I stink at turns, but there is no point in learning them if tri swims are open swims.

I’ve gotten my 5k time down to 28:22 minutes, so part of my mind was expecting to immediately be producing equivalent times on the bike and the swim, but that is far from true. While I’m not quite at square one as I was when I started running, I am much further down on the learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment