Monday, December 10, 2012

Helpful YouTube Running Videos

The benefit of running today as opposed to trying to run in 1995 (when I was in high school) is the advent of the internet and YouTube. Information is much more readily available, but sometimes the good information may be hard to find.

If someone was starting running, and especially if they were prone to shin splits, I would heavily recommend the first two videos. As for the five mistakes, I was making four of them. Implementing the tips from these videos has changed my view of running from "I hate it" to something much more managable (I still don't love running).

Five Beginner Running Mistakes:

Forefoot running explained:


Newton is a new shoe company that has designed their shoes around forefoot running. I started running on my forefoot a few months before I bought their shoes. Watching the video made me realize it wasn't a gimmick. It made sense. I've owned them for two months now, and I am a happy customer. My joint pain is less and I think my run time is up because the pain is less.

Newton has other good videos, but this one below hit home for me. Despite trying to run on my forefoot, I would still feel some shin pain from time to time. I think this is why (I was still overextending).

No comments:

Post a Comment