Saturday, January 12, 2013

New Personal Best at the ABB 5k

Hit a new personal best with my 5k this morning: 27:17! I averaged 8:47/mile. My goal was under 9:00/mile, so I definitely hit that. For some reason, to me, a time of 8:xx/mile seems like a solid runners pace.

I haven't been doing much speed work or even that much running, though I have been busy swimming and biking. So I didn't know what the cross-over impact of my training would be.  In the 7 weeks since the Turkey Trot, I had only ran 12 times.

One advantage is that this course and the respective runners were better. At the Turkey Trot, there were a lot of folks walking from the start. They started near the front and would be walking five abreast. So, there was a lot of running around people. Despite that there were thousands of runners, most people were running from the start.

Overall, there were 3,183 runners. I finished in the 16th percentile of all runners, 28th percentile of men, and top third of my age group. (FYI, the 50th percentile of my age group was 30:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment