Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Run Cadence


I've been running around the 9:30 - 10:00min/mile mark. To go faster, I was wondering whether should I take longer strides (I am 6'2") or should I take more frequent steps of a shorter stride. After internet reading, it seemed that frequent shorter strides was the way to go. Most recommended a run cadence of 180 steps per minute (90 per leg).

I had no idea of my typical cadence so I was determined to try it out. My typical run speed was a pokey 144 or so.  When I tried to increase my cadence, it got up to about 164, but I was still no where close to 180. I imagine that will be met by continued training, but I was dismayed by my overall time: 10:13 /mile on my 3 mile course. I hadn't run that slow since early November. The problem is that I was trying to run faster. Oh well, not every run is a personal best and I did get out the door despite the fact it was cold (for Houston).

No comments:

Post a Comment