Monday, October 29, 2012

First 5k!!!

Hell yeah! I finished my first 5k in a time beyond my wildest expectations – 29:21 (a 9:28 min/mi pace). The course on Allen Parkway has a big steep hill at the end. When I came up and saw the finish line I saw the clock. I forgot that the chip discounts the time it takes for you to get across the starting line, so I saw the clock counting up towards 30 minutes and I knew I could make it. I think my gun time was 29:58 or something. My time was about 3 minutes shorter than my practice run on Wednesday, so I still can’t believe it. Of course, I was beyond exhausted crossing the finish line and I heaved a little.

Since it was Halloween-time, some people were in costume. I got passed by a ketchup bottle so I didn’t think it was going all that well. I crossed the line at the same time as a guy in a Gumby suit. My friend thought his time would be at about 37 minutes, but he was faster than me.

I went running again this morning, but only 1.8 miles. My calves are sore (not a strain, but combination of the new shoes and the uphill run on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment